There are so many diet methods out there like Mediterranean Diet Vs Keto that you can try to help change a bad lifestyle or lose weight. They can be very restrictive for what we can consume on a daily basis but the idea is amazing since we are trying to reform our habits, to be better and of course healthier. For those who are considering to try these diet methods, go check how to do them or if these two are exactly the same diet.
In this article, we are going to give you information about:
- How to Lose Weight
- What are Mediterranean Diet and Keto
- What are the Basic of Mediterranean Diet and Keto
- What to Eat and Not in Mediterranean Diet and Keto
- What Mediterranean Diet and Keto can offer
- Mediterranean Diet Vs Keto
Losing weight is the goal of many people, including me and you but with the challenge of delicious foods and snacks, it seems that the goal is far away from our sight. It is normal to feel discouraged by the challenge but it doesn’t mean we can give up because while it seems impossible at first, shedding some pounds is not something we can do in the short term, which is why the key is consistent and strong will to stick to the diet plan.
There are many diet methods or diet products with certain plans like HMR diet Vs Medifast to help you lose weight conveniently but, they are not for a long term and continuous use thus, crafting a diet food from scratch is still the best option. Here are some tips on how to lose a quite amount of weight without any diet products.
- Eating fewer carbs and adding more lean protein into your meals. Carbs has been researched to be an effective way to lose weight when you reduce the consumption and improve overall health especially simple carbs without fiber. Protein is great because it helps eliminate your carbs and sugar intake as well as boost metabolism.
- The next tip which we assumed one of the hardest steps is removing all junk and processed foods from our diet while choosing whole foods more often. Not only they are usually lower in calories, whole foods is great for your health and very filling, especially when it comes to low-carb veggies.
- Next tip if you want to start losing weight is reducing the amount of calories we consume or simply reducing the amount of foods compared to our regular meals. Eating fewer calories while still being active just as we used to be will improve energy expenditure and when your body has no calories to burn from foods, they will start to resource from the saving in our body including fat.
- To fasten the weight loss process, another step you have to do is to increase physical activity or exercise, especially with weight lifting and high-intensity interval training. They are more effective to burn calories including reducing water storing as well as protect metabolism and hormone levels that often declining as we dieting.
- The next method to help you shed those extra pounds faster is by intermittent fasting which seems very popular in the last few years. This method forces you to reduce calorie intake for we are going to only eat in a limited amount of time so naturally our calorie intake will be reduced.
About Mediterranean Diet and Keto
If you are wanting to lose weight without limiting calorie intake and rather than losing weight in a short time the goal is to fix a bad lifestyle and bad food options, certain diet methods will be the best option to choose. There are lots of diet methods that tell you to limit certain type of food or not eating certain types of food at all. They may sound difficult in the beginning, but as we get used to the lifestyle, it is actually easier.
Among those many diet methods, we are sure you are familiar with Mediterranean diet and Keto diet because they are very popular nowadays and among the most difficult to maintain because they are pretty strict. Dieting with these methods are not going to deliver the result as fast as for example low-calorie or intermittent fasting but in the long term, it is easier to maintain and great for those who are living with bad lifestyle or food choices for they will guide us to eat healthier.
As the name suggests, Mediterranean diet is a diet which is based on the traditional food that is eaten by the people in certain regions like Italy and Greece back then in 1960. The reason why it is becoming a popular diet method is because researchers found that these people who are living and doing the lifestyle at that time were exceptionally healthy compared tour modern Americans and also found to help weight loss, prevent heart attack, strokes, type 2 diabetes, and even premature death.
As for Keto, this diet is very similar to Atkins so if you have ever tried the method in the past, this one will also be the same. The reason it is called as Keto is because we are trying to achieve the ketosis stage with the plan. This can work when you are eating a very low carbs in a day or about 50 grams of it so our body will eventually out of fuel or blood sugar quickly in which then we can start burning fat.
Mediterranean Diet and Keto Basic
The first thing you may want to know about a diet is what the basic of these methods are and in this term, these two are quite different from each other because as you may already know, the idea of Mediterranean diet is focusing more in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, as well as including less dairy and meat compared to what we used to eat in Western diet. The thing which is confusing about this diet is that there is no fixed rule on which is the right method to choose the foods.
On the other hand, the Keto diet is very clear on what can be eaten and what to avoid during the journey; some people are trying to see the fast results while the rest are in for the rest of their life. It is simple since what you need to avoid is carb hence carb-rich foods are forbidden in this diet method. As opposite, it is going to focus on fat and protein as well as dairy products like cheese and butter but not for dairy milk.
Mediterranean Diet and Keto Foods
For a further guides, Mediterranean diet will require you to choose lots of veggies with fruits, nuts, seeds, potatoes, legumes, whole grains, breads, spices, fish, seafood, and extra virgin olive oils with some poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt. You may also want to limit red meat and definitely avoid sugar-sweetened beverages, added sugars, processed meat, refined oils, highly processed foods, and refined grains. As opposed, you will eat lots of red meat, steak, ham, bacon, chicken, fatty fish, eggs, butter, and cream, nuts, avocados, and healthy oils with Keto diet.
What’s similar is this diet will also ask you to remove all of those high-carbs foods or drinks such as sugary foods including soda and fruit juice, low-fat diet products, some condiments or sauces, unhealthy fats, as well as alcohol, especially those high in carbs. What’s different is it will also remove grain or starches, all types of fruits except berries and avocados, beans or legumes, root veggies and tubers.
Mediterranean Diet and Keto Benefits
Not only losing weight, there are many health benefits you can get from these methods and starting with Mediterranean diet, this one will help reduce your heart disease risks based on the 2018 clinical trial published in New England Journal of Medicine, the second is specifically in women it will also reduce your risk of having a stroke, and third the diet may help prevent cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s disease, fourth is along with being helpful for weight loss it will also keep your weight off or maintaining a safe number, and the last is it may help stave off and manage type 2 diabetes.
Keto is also very beneficial not only to promote weight loss but for your overall health as well as reducing the risks of certain cancers, may help improve your heart health, protecting brain function in which it will strengthen both brain and nerve cells that is good for Alzheimer’s prevention, reducing seizures in epilepsy patients, improve PCOS symptoms, and even reduce your acne in case it is due to high blood sugar in your body due to eating a high-carbohydrate diet especially from refined carbohydrates.
Mediterranean Diet vs Keto
|- Focus on plant-based foods||- Focus on animal products|
|- Limit on red meat||- Very low in carbs|
|- In general lower-calorie||- Can have a very high calorie if not counted|
|- Ideal for vegetarian/vegan||- Ideal for those who love meat|
Both of these diets are an amazing options to try if you are planning to change into a better lifestyle or learn on how to choose healthier foods while also losing weight in the long term. What sets them apart from each other is the fact that Mediterranean is focusing on veggies with moderate animal products while Keto is focusing on animal products and veggies that are low-in carb or low-carb foods in general.
All in all we can choose any of these diets and still lose weight but there is no fixed rate on how much we can lose with either of them yet, in terms of food choices, those who love meat and animal products will probably prefer Keto over Mediterranean which is more ideal for those who are into plant based foods, vegetarian or vegan.